Thursday, January 7, 2010

It Uses What...?


Yes, it's 2010.
I was reading in another blog about a blogger -- an admitted technophobe -- is amazed at the new electronic devices out there, and how her world has changed for the better, receiving some 21st Century technology for Christmas.
While me...I still won't let my pet rock, Seymour, rework an unused VCR remote into a home defense device. Yes, I still have a VCR. And the VHS format tapes that play on it. What's more, I still don't have a cell phone. Or an ipod. Or a blackberry. An HDTV. A WIFI anything.
I willingly admit I'm a technosaurus. Seymour says I'm a chickensaurus. Which 'splains the lifted photo on the right h'yar.
It isn't 'cuz I'm necessarily afeared of new technology. It isn't 'cuz I'm fiscally tight-fisted. I just wasn't a good money manager not so long ago, and live on a tight budget now, so I make do with what I have, until it breaks.
Then I make do without LOL.
*Seymour shot me a look of panic at that*
My stereo system's primary components are circa 1988 (that of them what still work). My TV is circa 1984. My microwave is circa somewhere between 1989-1991. I am content with a landline telephone at home, and being out of touch between home and work, or anywhere else I'm commuting. Until very recently, I used an old 35mm camera for storm chasing and other photography.
Dated technology may not be hip or the current fad, but it still works for me. Heck, I still use an amazing device for music, when I go to the gym. One that I guarantee you no one else has or uses there. Amazing technology, really, for something the size of a man's wallet. It allows me to listen to music while I exercise. It runs on one AA battery, for up to a month. And it is flexible: it allows me to change out the music I listen to, by way of these incredible little things called cassette tapes. Much smaller than the 8 trac they replaced, back when Jimmah Cartuh was royally screwing up everything he touched. Mine has an auto-reverse feature, so I can hear a whole 90 minute cassette tape, without having to stop and flip it over...very handy when trying to throw my back out on the elliptical exerciser, or whatever that abomination of fitness is called.
Even better, it has a clip that attaches snugly to the waistband of my sweats, convenient when I have to stop exercising and dry heave...I can do it hands-free, without some blue-looking thing sticking in my ear, like an outgrowth of an alien probe or something with a dental name to it.
And I still like my head phones, instead of those so-called 'ear buds' that the more faddish crap comes with nowadays. When I wanna drown out someone else who's babbling about work, affairs, or vaginal implants into their ear-mounted dental-named thingee, from a neighboring elliptical torture device, I can just notch up the volume a skosh, and I am in my own music world.
I'll use my Sony Walkman until it doesn't work anymore. Which is fine; I have two spares, one of which Seymour uses, when he's trying to pirate lyrics for new songs.
"Am NOT!"
At any rate...yes, it's 2010. My five year old Dell desk top still serves the purpose, married to it's dinosaur dial-up internet service. Much as my old-enough-to-vote Panasonic 19" TV does, when married up to the VCR, or even -- to keep Seymour happy -- the newer DVD player.
Though, I still have to keep the remotes away from Seymour, if you recall the pteryducktyl scare we had, a short time ago. I don't think the 21st Century -- or my neighborhood -- is ready for 20th Century technology, with a "phasers off stun" twist.
"Are TOO!"
Seymour, go to your under-the-loveseat time-out place.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of this would not bother me a bit... But, dial up... oh no! You must be a somewhat patient man.

07 January, 2010 02:34  
Blogger Sueann said...

I agree...dial up??? No, no, no, no!! Say it isn't so??? Poor Seymour!! And I would miss my cell phone....I text my grandkids all the time and they text back. I love being a part of their lives!! So...2010...I am there!
LOL!
Hugs
SueAnn

07 January, 2010 04:33  
Blogger Herb said...

Well, I may be slightly less primitive than you, but not by much. Poor Seymour, though. There's probably an organization out there somewhere trying to stop the abuse of Pet Rocks.

07 January, 2010 07:43  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Poor Seymour. You sure do heap a lot of abuse on him. I am beginning to detect a minor tremor of protest of your pet rock abuse. Methinks Seymour has figured out how to get the support he so richly deserves. snerx.

As for your other interesting techno choices, keep on truckin'.

07 January, 2010 08:22  
Blogger Sandee said...

I just love Seymour. He's just so snarly. I'm glad you two get along so great. Well, most of the time.

I can relate to the old technology. I was there for a very long time. I did go without when things started to die. I so remember.

Have a terrific day. Give my best to Seymour. :)

07 January, 2010 11:02  
Blogger orneryswife said...

you'll likely live a lot longer without all those RMF's floating around your place, too. I don't know about giving up the high speed internet or my iPod, though. I use them all the time. Cell phone (no land line) I could easily discard if it wasn't for the fact that people do want to get in touch with me from time to time. Bummer. :)
tm

07 January, 2010 11:17  
Blogger Right Truth said...

I'm probably the least technical person you know. Either something works, or it doesn't. That's about it.

The Grouch got me a new 5th generation Ipod Nano for Christmas. I must admit, that is a really neat gadget. I have an old Ipod nano, I mean OLD. This new one takes videos, has a radio, so much more. I just love it.

Our stereo equipment is pretty old, but as long as it works I don't plan on replacing anything.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

07 January, 2010 11:53  
Blogger Unknown said...

Techno-idiot, here. No ipod, blackberry--amazing that I have a lap top@

07 January, 2010 14:47  
Blogger Unspoken said...

Mike hope to see you soon.

07 January, 2010 23:56  
Blogger Hilary said...

Geesh put that way, I'm pretty much a dinosaur too. No cell or similar device. My son has a PS3 but I don't think I've ever laid a hand on its controls. I have two VCRs one of which is in daily use. And strangely enough, all of the nifty items that I do have (kick-ass computer, camera and even my 5-year old iPod) were generous gifts from the previous technophobe of all time. (I'm sure he'll be along shortly.) I feel like I've entered Bizaro world.

08 January, 2010 06:35  
Blogger Jenny said...

Poor Seymour ... I can imagine the panicked looks and the elevated heart rate.

MY DELL was 7+ years old, just so you know.

Am loving the new iMac. Apparently it's not true that old dogs can't learn new tricks.

I still have a VCR too ... albeit embedded in the small TV in my bedroom, which is admittedly a more recent technology ... and I still enjoy my dozens of tapes.

Be kind ... rewind.

BTW I'm not a technophobe! I'm a romantic.

You rule, Skunky.

09 January, 2010 14:15  
Blogger Lawyer Mom said...

A good friend of mine has a dial-up rotary phone and no answering machine. She seems to get around just fine. But I couldn't make it without cable access to the internet. No way.

09 January, 2010 15:41  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

So were our parents best friends? Your values...making things go until they break...making do with what you have and living without it when it breaks...I can totally relate to all of it...I still have a stereo system from 1987...actually make that two...and have the VCR...yup, check! Never throw anything away...might be able to pirate parts...and my Dell is 5 years young as well...So...now I know why we get along so well...Loved this post...very funny...and yet, I saw so much of myself in it!!! Here's to 2010 and technosaurs! And Seymour just needs to get over it!! ;-) Hugs, my friend!!! Janine

09 January, 2010 18:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home